You are reading

Queens Man Who Fantasized About a Mass-Shooting Gets 57 Months in Jail for Weapons Charge

(iStock)

July 14, 2021 By Michael Dorgan

A Bayside man who glorified an attack against Jews and fantasized about a mass shooting has been sentenced to nearly five years in prison for buying an illegally defaced firearm.

Joseph Miner, 31, was sentenced in Brooklyn federal court Tuesday to 57 months in prison for purchasing a Glock 9mm handgun with a scraped-off serial number, prosecutors said.

Miner was caught trying to buy the weapon from an undercover FBI agent posing as a gun dealer at a Queens hotel near LaGuardia Airport in May 2020. Daniel Jou, his neighbor, was also busted in the sting.

Law enforcement began tracking Miner in late 2019 after he took to social media in an attempt to get weapons for a “racial holy war,” prosecutors said.

Federal officials said Miner posted several social media messages where he fantasized about becoming a martyr and described how he would “go out in a blaze of glory” in a mass shooting attack.

Prosecutors added that, on occasions, Miner disavowed interest in conducting an attack by himself.

Nevertheless, Miner had a history of posting racist and anti-Semitic messages and allegedly celebrated a number of hate crimes that had made headlines, prosecutors said.

For example, he described a 2019 machete attack at a synagogue in Monsey, NY, as exciting and expressed praise for the 2017 white supremacist rally in Charlottesville, Virg. on social media, according to authorities.

Other posts included a photograph of Miner giving a Nazi salute and another of a Planned Parenthood facility being blown up by the comic book character the Joker, prosecutors said.

“Tbh [to be honest] dying fighting Paki and African pieces of shit in Europe wouldn’t be the worst way to go. Die a hero,” he wrote, according to prosecutors.

Miner pleaded guilty to the firearm charge in January. He had also purchased an AR-15-style ghost gun and a Mossberg 500 shotgun off the undercover agent but charges for those weapons were dropped as part of his plea agreement, according to the U.S. Attorney’s Office.

Acting U.S. Attorney Jacquelyn Kasulis said that illegal guns pose a serious threat to the safety of the community.

“Today’s sentence holds Miner accountable for his knowing purchase of a firearm that could not be traced because its serial number had been removed,” Kasulis said.

  1. Meanwhile, Jou, his neighborhood, is scheduled to appear in federal court on Aug. 31 to face charges. He is expected to plead guilty.
email the author: news@queenspost.com
No comments yet

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Urgent manhunt underway for ‘animal’ who allegedly raped a 13-year-old girl in Flushing park on Thursday: NYPD

The NYPD announced a $10,000 reward is being offered for information that leads to the arrest of a Hispanic man who allegedly raped a 13-year-old girl in a wooded area of Kissena Corridor Park on Thursday afternoon.

More than sixty investigators were at the crime scene late into the night. During a press briefing by NYPD brass on Friday, Chief of Department Jeffrey Maddrey said that the manhunt was expanded city-wide and that the department would spare no expense until the suspect was apprehended.

Southeast Queens man arraigned on weapons charges after cops search his ‘ghost car’ near LaGuardia Airport: DA

A Hollis man was criminally charged after police discovered a cache of weapons in his vehicle during a traffic stop. He was pulled over for driving a “ghost car” with obscured license plates in East Elmhurst near LaGuardia Airport during the early morning hours of June 12.

Judd Sanson, 27, of Jamaica Avenue, was ordered held without bail after he was arraigned in Queens Criminal Court on Thursday afternoon on a criminal complaint charging him with multiple counts of weapons possession, unlawful possession of pistol or revolver ammunition, and unlawful use of a police uniform or emblem and other crimes after the arsenal was found in his SUV.

Man sought for raping 13-year-old girl in Flushing park in broad daylight Thursday: NYPD

An urgent manhunt is underway in Northeast Queens after a Hispanic man allegedly raped a 13-year-old girl at knifepoint in Kissena Corridor Park in broad daylight on Thursday afternoon.

Police from the 109th Precinct in Flushing reported that the youngster was with a 13-year-old boy in the park near Kalmia Avenue and Colden Street at around 3:30 p.m. when a stranger approached and threatened them with a knife, forcing them both into a wooded section where he tied them up. The perpetrator proceeded to forcibly remove their cell phones before sexually assaulting the girl, police said, adding that he fled in an unknown direction.