You are reading

Queens Marathon Postponed Until Nov. 15 Due To Coronavirus

Queens Marathon (Photo: Queens Distance Runners)

March 13, 2020 By Michael Dorgan

The fifth annual Queens Marathon has been postponed due to coronavirus concerns.

The 26.2 mile run around Flushing Meadows Corona Park was scheduled to take place on Sunday, March 26 but has been put back until Nov. 15, although this date is subject to change, organizers Queens Distance Runners announced.

The inaugural half marathon, which the Queens Distance Runners was also organizing as part of the March 26 event, will also be been put back to Nov. 15.

“Following New York Governor Andrew Cuomo’s announcement to ban gatherings of over 500 people, and with the cases of coronavirus growing by the day we felt it was in the best interests of everyone involved to postpone both races,” said race director Kevin Montalvo.

“We were prepared to implement highly aggressive strategies in an effort to save the races, but ultimately we could not guarantee a fully sterile environment for our runners, volunteers, and staff,” he said.

Nearly 1,000 runners were registered to take part–up from around 300 last year–and 300 volunteers were also set to help out.

The Queens Post is a sponsor of the event this year.

Registered runners will not be refunded but will automatically be signed up–without charge–for the Nov. 15 date. They will also get a discount on the 2021 marathon and will be offered free entry into one of the organizer’s other events this year.

The Queens Distance Runners is hosting a virtual run option for those wishing to run the race independently on March 22, or over the coming days.

Runners wishing to participate can click on the link here and follow the instructions at the bottom of the page.

email the author: news@queenspost.com
No comments yet

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Fresh Meadows MS-13 gang associate sentenced to nearly a half-century in prison for murder of Corona teen in Kissena Park: Feds

An MS-13 gang associate from Fresh Meadows was sentenced to 45 years in federal prison on Tuesday, Aug. 26, for the 2018 slaying of a Corona teenager in Flushing’s Kissena Park.

Juan Amaya-Ramirez, 27, and his co-defendant Oscar Flores-Mejia, 25, from Elmhurst, who is also an associate of the transnational criminal organization, pleaded guilty to the murder of 17-year-old Andy Peralta in Brooklyn federal court last September.

Plant Powered Metro NY helps reverse chronic illness with food and community

Aug. 28, 2025 By Jessica Militello

When Northern Queens resident Sherika Sterling discovered Plant Powered Metro NY’s Jumpstart program, she was struggling with a list of health issues that she thought she would have to deal with her entire life. After joining the program and changing to a plant-based diet, she was able to reverse many of her chronic ailments, including being pre-diabetic, after being equipped with practical tools, knowledge and plant-based recipes.

AG’s office launches investigation into death of man run over by police officer in Flushing Meadows Corona Park

The New York Attorney General’s Office of Special Investigations (OSI) has launched a probe into the death of a civilian on Saturday, Aug. 23, following a motor vehicle collision involving NYPD officers in Flushing Meadows Corona Park.

At approximately 4:37 p.m., an NYPD officer from the 110th Precinct in Elmhurst was driving westbound in a marked police cruiser, a 2015 Ford Taurus, at around 10 miles per hour in front of the Queens Theater on United Nations Avenue South, across from the Unisphere, when the vehicle ran over a man who was allegedly lying face up on the roadway prior to the collision, police said.