You are reading

Queens Public Library Closes All Branches Amid COVID-19

Hunters Point Library (Photo: Queens Library)

March 16, 2020 By Allie Griffin

Queens Public Library (QPL) announced last night that it is shutting down all its local branches–effective immediately–until further notice, amid the coronavirus pandemic.

The decision came after the New York Public Library — which includes libraries in Manhattan, Staten Island and the Bronx — announced Friday it was shutting its branches.

Council Member Jimmy Van Bramer, Chair of the Cultural Affairs & Libraries Committee, urged the QPL, as well as the Brooklyn Public Library, last week to shut down in tandem with the New York Public Library system.

“Library workers, who are information specialists, always want to serve our customers, particularly those most vulnerable in a crisis,” Van Bramer said. “But for the safety of all, closing all three systems at this time is the prudent thing to do.”

Urban Libraries Unite, a library advocacy group, echoed Van Bramer’s call Friday.

“We understand the vital role public libraries play in our communities better than anyone, however we also know that the patrons who are most likely to be harmed by the closure of public libraries are the same patrons who are most likely to be harmed by the spread of the virus,” Urban Libraries Unite said in a statement.

“For their health and safety, as well as the health and safety of staff and other community members, we urge the BPL and QPL leadership to make the same decision immediately.”

Finally, both QPL and BPL announced full closures last night beginning today.

“Starting Monday, March 16 and until further notice, Queens Public Library will be closed to the public in order to help slow the spread of COVID-19 and protect the health and safety of our staff and the public we serve,” Dennis Walcott, President and CEO of QPL, said in a statement.

In the interim, QPL is expanding its collection of digital materials, which includes thousands of free e-books, audiobooks, e-magazines, songs, movies and videos.

QPL also asked that Queens residents who currently have items checked out from library, hold onto the items until the branches reopen. All due dates will automatically be extended and late fees will be suspended during the closure.

email the author: news@queenspost.com
No comments yet

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Corona man charged with rape and kidnapping for attacks on 13-year-olds in Flushing park: DA

Ecuadorean migrant Christian Inga was criminally charged Wednesday with first-degree rape, two counts of kidnapping, predatory sexual assault, and other crimes for attacking two 13-year-olds who were in Kissena Corridor Park in the middle of the afternoon on June 13.

He allegedly held the two children at knifepoint in a wooded area where he tied the hands of the boy and girl together with a shoelace and then raped the girl.

Curtis Sliwa calls for more protection of kids after brutal sexual attack on teenage girl in Flushing

Jun. 18, 2024 By Gabriele Holtermann

Following the horrific incident where a 13-year-old girl was raped in Kissena Corridor Park in Flushing last Thursday, former NYC mayoral candidate Curtis Sliwa, several GOP candidates, and community leaders held a rally in the park on Monday evening. They called for increased protection for children in Flushing after the attacker forced the victim and her friend into a wooded area at knifepoint, tied them up, and committed the heinous crime.

Urgent manhunt underway for ‘animal’ who allegedly raped a 13-year-old girl in Flushing park on Thursday: NYPD

The NYPD announced a $10,000 reward is being offered for information that leads to the arrest of a Hispanic man who allegedly raped a 13-year-old girl in a wooded area of Kissena Corridor Park on Thursday afternoon.

More than sixty investigators were at the crime scene late into the night. During a press briefing by NYPD brass on Friday, Chief of Department Jeffrey Maddrey said that the manhunt was expanded city-wide and that the department would spare no expense until the suspect was apprehended.