You are reading

Queens Straphangers to Face 7 Train Disruptions Next Month: MTA

7 train at Queensboro Plaza (Photo: Unsplash @nathan_hurst)

Dec. 9, 2020 By Michael Dorgan

The MTA will not be providing 7 train service between Queensboro Plaza and 34 Street-Hudson Yards on most weekends in January and February.

The agency announced Friday that is it cutting service to conduct track work near the Grand Central-42 Street station.

Service will be suspended from 1 a.m. on Saturdays through 5 a.m. on Mondays on Jan. 9-11, Jan. 16-18, Jan. 23-25, Jan. 30-Feb.1, Feb. 20-22 and Feb. 27- March 1.

Service will also be cut on weeknights – every Monday through Thursday – from Jan. 11 through March 19, from 11:45 p.m. to 1 a.m. Service is expected to be down from 1 a.m. to 5 a.m. during these dates anyway for overnight disinfecting.

During the weekend cuts, riders can take the N train between Queensboro Plaza and Times Square-42nd Street on Saturday’s from 7:15 a.m. to 6:30 p.m. and on Sundays from 10:15 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.

W service will also be available between Queensboro Plaza station and Times Square-42nd Street station.

Free shuttle buses will service all 7 line subway stations between Queensboro Plaza and Vernon Blvd-Jackson Avenue. Riders can also transfer to the E, F, M and R lines at Jackson Heights-Roosevelt Avenue.

The agency said it is taking advantage of lower ridership due to the pandemic to conduct the work and to minimize the impact on riders.

The track near Grand Central-42 Street has reached the end of its service life and is in need of complete replacement, the MTA said.

Crews will also remove components from the old signal system since the move to the modernized Communications-Based Train Control system has been completed.

The upgrades will bring about improved reliability and better service, the MTA said.

email the author: news@queenspost.com

One Comment

Click for Comments 
Larry Penner

This work is understandable, but how many more years must we wait for the MTA NYC Transit resume mid-day express service between 10 AM and 3 PM?. This last ran in the mid 1980’s. Investing $600 million in Communication Based Train Control only resulted in increasing the number of rush hour trains by 2 from 27 to 29 in each direction. NYC Transit no longer has any other opportunity for increasing rush hour capacity on the #7 line.
Given the tremendous growth in #7 subway ridership 24/7 prior to COVID-19, riders would still welcome restoration of mid day express service, This would assist in providing adequate social distancing and avoid excessive crowding. Ridership will begin to return some time in 2021 as COVID-19 fades and a vaccine becomes widely available in coming months. Riders would also welcome a return of Saturday and holiday express services (which briefly ran in the early 1950’s) along with more frequent local service off peak, late evenings, overnight and weekends.
There are opportunities to increase capacity and service. There is equipment used primarily for rush hour peak service that is available to provide additional service during off peak hours. It is a question of finding millions of dollars more to cover operating costs for additional service. Why not use future Manhattan congestion toll pricing revenues now scheduled to start two years later in 2023 to pay for this?

(Larry Penner is a transportation advocate, historian and writer who previously worked for the Federal Transit Administration Region 2 NY Office. This included the development, review, approval and oversight for grants supporting billions in capital projects and programs on behalf of the MTA, NYC Transit bus and subway, Long Island and Metro North Rail Roads, MTA Bus and NYC Department of Transportation along with 30 other transit agencies in NY & NJ)
.
. .

Reply

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Urgent manhunt underway for ‘animal’ who allegedly raped a 13-year-old girl in Flushing park on Thursday: NYPD

The NYPD announced a $10,000 reward is being offered for information that leads to the arrest of a Hispanic man who allegedly raped a 13-year-old girl in a wooded area of Kissena Corridor Park on Thursday afternoon.

More than sixty investigators were at the crime scene late into the night. During a press briefing by NYPD brass on Friday, Chief of Department Jeffrey Maddrey said that the manhunt was expanded city-wide and that the department would spare no expense until the suspect was apprehended.

Southeast Queens man arraigned on weapons charges after cops search his ‘ghost car’ near LaGuardia Airport: DA

A Hollis man was criminally charged after police discovered a cache of weapons in his vehicle during a traffic stop. He was pulled over for driving a “ghost car” with obscured license plates in East Elmhurst near LaGuardia Airport during the early morning hours of June 12.

Judd Sanson, 27, of Jamaica Avenue, was ordered held without bail after he was arraigned in Queens Criminal Court on Thursday afternoon on a criminal complaint charging him with multiple counts of weapons possession, unlawful possession of pistol or revolver ammunition, and unlawful use of a police uniform or emblem and other crimes after the arsenal was found in his SUV.

Man sought for raping 13-year-old girl in Flushing park in broad daylight Thursday: NYPD

An urgent manhunt is underway in Northeast Queens after a Hispanic man allegedly raped a 13-year-old girl at knifepoint in Kissena Corridor Park in broad daylight on Thursday afternoon.

Police from the 109th Precinct in Flushing reported that the youngster was with a 13-year-old boy in the park near Kalmia Avenue and Colden Street at around 3:30 p.m. when a stranger approached and threatened them with a knife, forcing them both into a wooded section where he tied them up. The perpetrator proceeded to forcibly remove their cell phones before sexually assaulting the girl, police said, adding that he fled in an unknown direction.