You are reading

Queens Taste 2020 Canceled Due To COVID-19

Queens Taste (Photo courtesy of Queens Taste)

May 6, 2020 By Michael Dorgan

Queens Taste, the popular annual food-and-networking festival, has been canceled for 2020 due to issues pertaining to COVID-19.

The event had already been postponed from May 5 to Oct. 6 but organizers have decided to terminate the gathering for this year.

Safety concerns surrounding COVID-19 along with ongoing economic restrictions are posing too many challenges for organizers Queens Economic Development Corporation and Queens Tourism Council.

“We’re saddened by this decision, but there’s so much uncertainty that even holding it in the fall is not feasible,” QEDC Executive Director Seth Bornstein said.

Queens Taste has been an annual event since 2001 and was scheduled to take place at the New York Hall of Science in Flushing Meadows, Corona Park.

Last year, an estimated 500 people attended to sample cuisine from countries such as China, Colombia, Guyana, Haiti, India, Italy, Malaysia, Mexico, Thailand, Trinidad, and the Philippines.

Several dozen Queens-based restaurants and beverage purveyors were set to provide samples of their products to revelers and help generate much-needed revenue for the neighborhood.

“We were hoping to hold a triumphant, post-COVID affair and show off the borough’s businesses, but this disease is too dangerous,” added QTC Director Rob MacKay.

“It’s a shame, but we’ll be back,” he said.

QEDC has put together a document with information for businesses that may need assistance navigating the COVID-10 economic shutdown.

Experts are warning of impending economic carnage for small businesses in Queens over the coming months.

Tom Grech, president and CEO of the Queens Chamber of Commerce estimates that half of the bars and restaurants in Queens may not reopen. Grech made the startling revelation on the Queens Post podcast last weekend.

His evaluation is based on discussions the chamber has had with landlords, food suppliers and the restaurants themselves.

The full podcast with Grech can be viewed below.

email the author: news@queenspost.com
No comments yet

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Urgent manhunt underway for ‘animal’ who allegedly raped a 13-year-old girl in Flushing park on Thursday: NYPD

The NYPD announced a $10,000 reward is being offered for information that leads to the arrest of a Hispanic man who allegedly raped a 13-year-old girl in a wooded area of Kissena Corridor Park on Thursday afternoon.

More than sixty investigators were at the crime scene late into the night. During a press briefing by NYPD brass on Friday, Chief of Department Jeffrey Maddrey said that the manhunt was expanded city-wide and that the department would spare no expense until the suspect was apprehended.

Southeast Queens man arraigned on weapons charges after cops search his ‘ghost car’ near LaGuardia Airport: DA

A Hollis man was criminally charged after police discovered a cache of weapons in his vehicle during a traffic stop. He was pulled over for driving a “ghost car” with obscured license plates in East Elmhurst near LaGuardia Airport during the early morning hours of June 12.

Judd Sanson, 27, of Jamaica Avenue, was ordered held without bail after he was arraigned in Queens Criminal Court on Thursday afternoon on a criminal complaint charging him with multiple counts of weapons possession, unlawful possession of pistol or revolver ammunition, and unlawful use of a police uniform or emblem and other crimes after the arsenal was found in his SUV.

Man sought for raping 13-year-old girl in Flushing park in broad daylight Thursday: NYPD

An urgent manhunt is underway in Northeast Queens after a Hispanic man allegedly raped a 13-year-old girl at knifepoint in Kissena Corridor Park in broad daylight on Thursday afternoon.

Police from the 109th Precinct in Flushing reported that the youngster was with a 13-year-old boy in the park near Kalmia Avenue and Colden Street at around 3:30 p.m. when a stranger approached and threatened them with a knife, forcing them both into a wooded section where he tied them up. The perpetrator proceeded to forcibly remove their cell phones before sexually assaulting the girl, police said, adding that he fled in an unknown direction.