You are reading

Queensboro FC Signs New Coach But Team Won’t Debut Until 2022

Josep Gombau (Twitter)

July 6, 2020 By Michael Dorgan

Queensboro FC has announced that it has signed a new head coach and that the newly-established team won’t begin playing until 2022– a year later than expected.

The first-ever Queens professional soccer franchise announced Monday that Spanish coach Josep Gombau will manage the team.

Gombau, whose 24 years of coaching experience spans four continents, will also serve as the club’s sporting director.

Queensboro FC was expected to debut in the United Soccer League Championship Division II professional league – a tier below Major League Soccer – in 2021. However, the club said yesterday that it is delaying the launch citing the impact COVID-19 has had on the borough.

The club said its youth academy– an important component of the franchise– was disrupted due to the virus. Club officials said that they need to have a talent pipeline to the senior team fully established before they enter the league.

Queensboro FC said it also needs to finalize stadium plans which include finding a stadium for the academy team to play in from March 2021.

In the meantime, 44-year-old Gombau will join forces again with Queensboro FC co-owner David Villa to put these structures in place. Gombau previously helped develop Villa’s DV7 global soccer academies.

Gombau, according to Villa, has the right credentials and is the perfect choice for both roles.

“For certain, a coach of this caliber will help take soccer in this country to a new level,” Villa said.

“Together, we will oversee all sporting aspects of the club, laying the groundwork for us to succeed at the highest level and be recognized all over the world,” Villa said.

Gombau previously worked as head coach of FC Barcelona’s youth academy where he helped develop the club’s famed “FCB Escola” system around the world. The program trains and educates boys and girls aged between 6 and 11 years old. It has produced some of Barcelona’s biggest stars including Lionel Messi.

Gombau has won two national league titles with Hong Kong outfit Kitchee SC and won the Australian Cup with Adelaide United.

He has also had stints with the Western Sydney Wanderers, Australia’s U-23 national team, and was assistant coach for Australia’s senior national team when they qualified for the 2018 FIFA World Cup. His last role was as head coach of Odisha FC in the Indian Super League.

Gombau, who lived in Queens from 2015 to 2016 when he worked as Technical Director of the DV7 Soccer Academy, said he wants to help the city in its renewal and revitalization.

He said this can be done through the lens of sport, community and grassroots efforts.

“I am committed to bringing together a diverse mix of homegrown and international players, to form the first-ever professional soccer team that the borough of Queens can call its own,” Gombau said.

“Our attacking style of play will undoubtedly bring global recognition and fan excitement – while helping continue to grow the game in America.”

email the author: news@queenspost.com
No comments yet

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

QBP Richards, advocates rally to demand Mayor Adams restore funding to City’s libraries

May. 17, 2024 By Gabriele Holtermann

A rally was held at the Queens Public Library at Forest Hills on May 16, during which Queens Borough President Donovan Richards, Queens Public Library President and CEO Dennis Walcott, union reps and library advocates called on Mayor Eric Adams to reverse the proposed $58.3 million budget cuts to the New York Public Library (NYPL), the Brooklyn Public Library (BPL), and the Queens Public Library (QBL) for Fiscal Year 2025, which begins on July 1, 2024.

Queens elected officials secure $70 million from New York State Budget for school safety equipment in religious and independent schools

May. 17, 2024 By Anthony Medina

Religious and independent schools throughout the city will soon receive additional funding for school safety equipment, thanks to Assemblymember Andrew Hevesi and State Senator Michael Gianaris, who, after extensive advocacy efforts, successfully secured $70 million from the New York State Budget for 2024-25 for Non-Public School Safety Equipment (NPSE) grants.