You are reading

Reopening of In-Person Classes at City Schools Delayed Yet Again for Most Students

Public School 33 Edward M. Funk School in Queens Village (Photo: Queens Post)

Sept. 17, 2020 By Allie Griffin

The start of in-person classes at the city’s public schools has been delayed yet again for the majority of students.

Mayor Bill de Blasio announced that the reopening of most school buildings will be pushed back further — on a rolling basis — just four days before they were set to reopen on Monday.

Students in 3-K, Pre-K and District 75 schools will still return to classrooms on the original opening date of Sept. 21. All other students will see delays.

Students in K through 5 and K through 8 schools will head back on Tuesday, Sept. 29. Meanwhile, students at middle schools, high schools and secondary schools will be the last to return to in-person classes on Thursday, Oct. 1.

All students will have remote instruction until the dates their school buildings reopen.

The announcement followed criticism from parents, teachers, administrators and elected officials worried about safety and the quality of education with a staffing shortage. It was also the second time de Blasio has pushed back the opening of school buildings, which were originally set to open on Sept. 10.

The leaders of the teachers union and principals union joined de Blasio at a press conference this morning to announced the last-minute switch-up. The mayor met with the two leaders for hours yesterday to discuss the challenges and gradual reopening.

“If we’re going to do this we have to make sure we get this right,” Michael Mulgrew, President of the United Federation of Teachers (UFT), said. “This is an unprecedented challenge.”

One of the main reasons for the postponement was a shortage of teachers.

De Blasio announced that the city will bring in another 2,500 teachers to public schools on top of the additional 2,000 already announced on Monday.

email the author: news@queenspost.com
No comments yet

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Mob of young people ransack Flushing boutique minutes after robbing man at knifepoint on Roosevelt Avenue: NYPD

Police from the 109th Precinct in Flushing are still looking for more than a dozen young people who allegedly robbed a man at knifepoint on Roosevelt Avenue and then pulled a smash-and-grab minutes later, looting a store of tens of thousands of dollars worth of merchandise last month.

The mob of more than a dozen men and women surrounded a 38-year-old man in the vicinity of Roosevelt Avenue and Union Street in the early morning of Monday, April 22. Several of the suspects threatened the victim with knives and some of the individuals menaced him with sticks before they forcibly removed his wallet, which contained $700 in cash, police said, adding that the victim was not injured during the incident.

Mayor announces new 9/11 memorial will be built in Whitestone to honor fallen service members from Iraq and Afghanistan conflicts

Queens will be home to the city’s new memorial dedicated to the 99 service members from the borough who lost their lives in the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq following the events of 9/11, Mayor Eric Adams announced during a Fleet Week kickoff reception at City Hall on Thursday morning.

The borough of Queens was chosen because it is home to the largest number of post-9/11 service members who were killed in action during those conflicts. Queens is also home to the highest population of living veterans than any other borough.

Two men sentenced to life imprisonment in murder-for-hire of perceived business rival at Flushing karaoke club

The president of a Manhattan-based construction company and a California man were sentenced to life in prison in Brooklyn federal court on Wednesday for orchestrating the murder of a businessman at a Flushing karaoke bar in 2019.

Qing Ming “Allen” Yu, 55, of Oyster Bay, and Zhe “Zack” Zhang, 35, of Arcadia, Calif., were convicted by a federal jury in October following a two-week trial for the contract killing of 31-year-old Xin “Chris” Gu, who worked at Yu’s company before becoming his business rival. The jury found the defendants guilty of murder-for-hire and murder-for-hire conspiracy for hiring a hitman to gun the victim down outside the Grand Slam KTV bar on Fowler Avenue