You are reading

Ridgewood YMCA to Offer Free Childcare for Students Via $500K Donation from AT&T and WarnerMedia

Ridgewood YMCA (Photo: YMCA)

Sept. 11, 2020 By Christian Murray

The Ridgewood YMCA will be offering parents free childcare on days their kids have to do remote learning.

The program, which will be open for students in Queens, is being funded by a $500,000 donation by AT&T and WarnerMedia to the YMCA of Greater New York.

The Ridgewood YMCA is where the program is being offered in Queens.

The YMCA will support and supervise students on remote learning days from 8 AM-3 PM, as well as provide in-person project-based learning and physical games and activities.  All students participating in DOE’s hybrid learning model are eligible to be part of the program.

Parents are advised to contact their school principal if they would like to enroll. Priority will be given to children of essential workers and children experiencing homelessness.

The goal is to help parents who do not have the option of working from home and have difficulty affording childcare on the days their children have to learn remotely. The program aims to help parents return to work as the city begins to recover from the economic challenges caused by the pandemic.

“The pandemic has created a tremendous amount of uncertainty around the upcoming school year, presenting the greatest challenges for parents who do not have the option of working from home. Together, AT&T and WarnerMedia are honored to support the YMCA so they can provide urgently-needed school day remote learning supervision and support for hundreds of families across New York City,” said Patricia Jacobs, President, Northern Region, AT&T in a statement.

Dennis Williams, SVP, Corporate Social Responsibility, at WarnerMedia echoed those sentiments.

“It’s our honor to support the YMCA and this worthy program, alongside AT&T,” Williams said.

email the author: news@queenspost.com
No comments yet

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Mob of young people ransack Flushing boutique minutes after robbing man at knifepoint on Roosevelt Avenue: NYPD

Police from the 109th Precinct in Flushing are still looking for more than a dozen young people who allegedly robbed a man at knifepoint on Roosevelt Avenue and then pulled a smash-and-grab minutes later, looting a store of tens of thousands of dollars worth of merchandise last month.

The mob of more than a dozen men and women surrounded a 38-year-old man in the vicinity of Roosevelt Avenue and Union Street in the early morning of Monday, April 22. Several of the suspects threatened the victim with knives and some of the individuals menaced him with sticks before they forcibly removed his wallet, which contained $700 in cash, police said, adding that the victim was not injured during the incident.

Mayor announces new 9/11 memorial will be built in Whitestone to honor fallen service members from Iraq and Afghanistan conflicts

Queens will be home to the city’s new memorial dedicated to the 99 service members from the borough who lost their lives in the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq following the events of 9/11, Mayor Eric Adams announced during a Fleet Week kickoff reception at City Hall on Thursday morning.

The borough of Queens was chosen because it is home to the largest number of post-9/11 service members who were killed in action during those conflicts. Queens is also home to the highest population of living veterans than any other borough.

Two men sentenced to life imprisonment in murder-for-hire of perceived business rival at Flushing karaoke club

The president of a Manhattan-based construction company and a California man were sentenced to life in prison in Brooklyn federal court on Wednesday for orchestrating the murder of a businessman at a Flushing karaoke bar in 2019.

Qing Ming “Allen” Yu, 55, of Oyster Bay, and Zhe “Zack” Zhang, 35, of Arcadia, Calif., were convicted by a federal jury in October following a two-week trial for the contract killing of 31-year-old Xin “Chris” Gu, who worked at Yu’s company before becoming his business rival. The jury found the defendants guilty of murder-for-hire and murder-for-hire conspiracy for hiring a hitman to gun the victim down outside the Grand Slam KTV bar on Fowler Avenue