You are reading

Sanitation Department Gets Boost in Funding, To Bring Back Sunday Basket Collection

Overflowing litter basket (Photo: Queens Post)

April 1, 2021 By Allie Griffin

The New York City Sanitation Department (DSNY) is bringing back Sunday basket collection using federal COVID-19 relief money to restore the service.

The city will deploy more than 100 additional Sanitation trucks per week dedicated to litter basket collection– in addition to Sunday service. The city made significant cuts to service in July when it passed the budget at the height of the pandemic.

The de Blasio administration was subject to heavy criticism about overflowing trash soon after the budget cuts went into effect last July– and the city partially restored pickups in September.

With the latest round of funding, litter basket collection service will be up by 61 percent since July, the city said.

The department, as part of its latest initiative, will also release borough-based teams to clean targeted neighborhoods, where litter, illegal dumping and overflowing waste baskets are particularly problematic– as part of a new “precision cleaning” initiative.

“These are targeted, borough-based teams that will go out to address those quality-of-life concerns that we’ve seen…through the pandemic,” Sanitation Commissioner Edward Grayson said at a news briefing this week.

The teams will be dispatched based on DSNY staff observations, 311 complaints and referrals from other city agencies and community groups.

DSNY Commissioner Edward Grayson (Michael Appleton/Mayoral Photography Office)

De Blasio also announced a new initiative to support residents and community groups who volunteer to do litter pick-up in their neighborhoods. DSNY will lend tools, trash bags, brooms, dustpans to the volunteers and deliver such tools directly to the volunteers through a new “Community Clean-up Van.”

The DSNY budget had faced a $106 million cut due to the financial crisis triggered by the pandemic, but money from the federal stimulus has since helped to fill that void and bring back services.

Flushing Council Member Peter Koo said the restoration of Sunday litter basket collection is welcome news.

“Last year’s service cuts left our litter baskets overflowing and bags piled up on street corners, especially on the weekends along our busiest commercial corridors,” Koo said in a statement.

“As the weather gets warmer and more people spend their time outdoors, additional Sunday service means cleaner streets and an improved quality of life for all New Yorkers.”

email the author: news@queenspost.com
No comments yet

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Mets partner with mass mobility service company Rally to provide gameday shuttles for three upcoming games

Jul. 22, 2024 By Ethan Marshall

The New York Mets and mass mobility service company Rally on July 19 announced a partnership to provide shuttle service to three upcoming Mets games from special locations or crowdsourced trips. This service will be available for the Saturday, July 27, game against the Atlanta Braves, the Saturday, Aug. 17, game against the Miami Marlins and the Saturday, Sept. 7, game against the Cincinnati Reds.

Queens Special Victims Squad joins search for alleged rapist in Downtown Flushing: NYPD

Detectives from the Queens Special Victims Squad have joined the urgent manhunt for the sexual predator who allegedly beat and raped a 53-year-old woman inside a commercial building in Downtown Flushing on the night of Sunday, July 14.

Police from the 109th Precinct in Flushing responded to a 911 call after the victim was attacked at 11:06 p.m. inside the business in the vicinity of Prince Street and 40th Road near the Bland Houses NYCHA complex after the perpetrator punched her multiple times in the head before forcibly raping her, police said. The stranger then fled on foot in an unknown direction.

AG James announces dismantling of Queens-based ghost gun trafficking operation

New York Attorney General Letitia James announced Wednesday the takedown of a prolific Queens-based gun trafficking crew accused of selling firearms and ammo at an East Elmhurst playground, the Queens Center Mall and other locations around the borough.

James secured a 625-count indictment charging five men for participating in the gun smuggling ring, which involved selling dozens of ghost guns, assault weapons, high-capacity magazines and hundreds of rounds of ammunition.