You are reading

Schumer and AOC Call for Government to Pay for Death Arrangements of COVID-19 Victims

Congresswoman Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez and U.S. Senator Charles Schumer (Wikipedia)

April 15, 2020 By Michael Dorgan

U.S. Senator Charles Schumer and Congresswoman Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez are calling on the federal government to help cover the funeral costs for low-income families who have lost a loved one to COVID-19.

The legislators said that the government needs to help these families and urged FEMA to release funds immediately as part of the “Disaster Funeral Assistance” program.

Ocasio-Cortez’ district covers the Elmhurst, Corona and Jackson Heights neighborhoods– the epicenter of the Coronavirus outbreak. Many residents in the area have limited means and are new immigrants. Around 20 percent of Corona residents – the city’s hardest-hit neighborhood – live below the poverty level.

The pair want FEMA to help pay for expenses including casket costs, mortuary services, death certificates, and cremation or interment.

“Families across New York, and right here in Queens, are already paying the ultimate price with the tragic loss of their loved ones to the coronavirus,” they said at a press briefing in Corona yesterday.

“That is why FEMA must do the right thing during this crisis, exactly what they did after Hurricane Sandy, and deliver special funds to New York families faced with mounting funeral and burial costs they simply cannot afford,” they said.

The legislators said that an existing FEMA program – the Individuals and Households Program – is already available to help with relief but the federal agency needs to approve special funeral assistance.

The appeal comes a week after Council Member Francisco Moya called for the creation of an emergency relief fund last week to cover the cost of death arrangements for the families of COVID-19 victims of limited means.

email the author: news@queenspost.com
No comments yet

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Flushing man indicted in fatal collision that killed 10-year-old boy in East Elmhurst last month: DA

A Flushing man was indicted by a Queens grand jury in a fatal collision that killed an 8-year-old boy in East Elmhurst last month.

Jose Barcia, 52, is accused of speeding through a crosswalk while making a left turn, killing Bayron Palomino Arroyo and injuring his 10-year-old brother Bradley on Mar. 13. The grand jury indictment was filed on Apr. 18, and Barcia will be arraigned on May 2, according to Queens District Attorney Melinda Katz.

Dozens of restaurant and small business owners urge Sen. Ramos to support the $8B Metropolitan Park proposal at Citi Field

Around fifty restaurant and small business owners from Corona, Jackson Heights, and East Elmhurst signed a letter asking state Senator Jessica Ramos to support the $8 billion Metropolitan Park proposal from New York Mets owner Steve Cohen and Hard Rock International to build a casino and entertainment complex on the parking lot adjacent to Citi Field.

Jessica Rico, the owner of Mojitos Restaurant & Bar in Jackson Heights, hand-delivered the letter to a Ramos staffer while the Senator was in Albany on April 19.

Crunching the Queens crime numbers: grand larcenies down across borough, rapes halved in the north, robberies decrease in the south

Apr. 17, 2024 By Ethan Marshall

The number of grand larcenies across Queens was down during the 28-day period from March 18 to April 14, compared to the same period of time last year, according to the latest crime stats released by the NYPD Monday. At the same time, rapes and robberies decreased significantly in northern and southern Queens, respectively.