You are reading

Second Candidate Vying to be Queens Borough President Files Lawsuit

Queens borough president candidate Dao Yin (Dao Yin)

May 11, 2020 By Allie Griffin

A second Queens borough president candidate has filed a lawsuit against Governor Andrew Cuomo for cancelling the special election for the position.

Dao Yin, a Bayside businessman and community activist, filed suit against Cuomo in Queens Supreme Court Friday — hours after candidate and former prosecutor Jim Quinn sued Cuomo as well.

Both men hope the court will force Cuomo to reinstate the nonpartisan special election.

Quinn was knocked out of the race when Cuomo signed an executive order cancelling the special election late last month in favor of the primary election scheduled for the same day because he had only petitioned to run for the nonpartisan special election.

The special election was rescheduled due to the coronavirus pandemic from its original March 24 date to June 23 — the same day as the Democratic primary. The governor then axed the special election altogether instead of having two separate elections for the same position on the same day — forcing Quinn off the ballot.

Yin is still on the ballot for the primary election, but decided to take legal action arguing that Cuomo’s executive order was an illegal abuse of power, he said.

“I’m on the ballot for Queens Borough President either way, but calling out Governor Cuomo’s transparent power grab is the right thing to do,” Yin said.

Yin said Cuomo’s decision to cancel the special election, which was nonpartisan, in favor of a Democratic primary for the position disenfranchises all voters who aren’t registered Democrats.

The order also trashes thousands of votes that were cast during the early voting period in March before the March 24 election date was cancelled.

“It’s often said that every vote counts, but if Cuomo’s late-night executive order were allowed to stand, those votes literally will not be counted,” Yin said.

“For Governor Cuomo to change the rules of the game at the last minute in order to benefit his cronies is an outrage,” he added.

Yin’s attorney said Cuomo was playing to the Queens Machine desires.

“Cuomo’s actions are designed to manipulate the election,” said Aaron Foldenauer, Dao Yin’s attorney.  “Without a Special Election, only registered Democrats will be eligible to vote…thus helping the Queens Machine and leaving approximately 450,000 Queens voters without the right to choose the person to lead the Borough during these challenging times.”

The primary election next month will be followed by a general election for Queens borough president in November.

Acting Borough President Sharon Lee will remain in office through the end of the year and the winner of the November general election will take over on Jan 1, 2021.

email the author: news@queenspost.com
No comments yet

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Urgent manhunt underway for ‘animal’ who allegedly raped a 13-year-old girl in Flushing park on Thursday: NYPD

The NYPD announced a $10,000 reward is being offered for information that leads to the arrest of a Hispanic man who allegedly raped a 13-year-old girl in a wooded area of Kissena Corridor Park on Thursday afternoon.

More than sixty investigators were at the crime scene late into the night. During a press briefing by NYPD brass on Friday, Chief of Department Jeffrey Maddrey said that the manhunt was expanded city-wide and that the department would spare no expense until the suspect was apprehended.

Southeast Queens man arraigned on weapons charges after cops search his ‘ghost car’ near LaGuardia Airport: DA

A Hollis man was criminally charged after police discovered a cache of weapons in his vehicle during a traffic stop. He was pulled over for driving a “ghost car” with obscured license plates in East Elmhurst near LaGuardia Airport during the early morning hours of June 12.

Judd Sanson, 27, of Jamaica Avenue, was ordered held without bail after he was arraigned in Queens Criminal Court on Thursday afternoon on a criminal complaint charging him with multiple counts of weapons possession, unlawful possession of pistol or revolver ammunition, and unlawful use of a police uniform or emblem and other crimes after the arsenal was found in his SUV.

Man sought for raping 13-year-old girl in Flushing park in broad daylight Thursday: NYPD

An urgent manhunt is underway in Northeast Queens after a Hispanic man allegedly raped a 13-year-old girl at knifepoint in Kissena Corridor Park in broad daylight on Thursday afternoon.

Police from the 109th Precinct in Flushing reported that the youngster was with a 13-year-old boy in the park near Kalmia Avenue and Colden Street at around 3:30 p.m. when a stranger approached and threatened them with a knife, forcing them both into a wooded section where he tied them up. The perpetrator proceeded to forcibly remove their cell phones before sexually assaulting the girl, police said, adding that he fled in an unknown direction.