You are reading

State Closing Hair and Nail Salons And Tattoo Parlors from Saturday

Governor Andrew Cuomo has announced that New York is adding barbers, salons and other personal care providers to its list of mandatory business closures (Office of Governor Andrew Cuomo.

March 20, 2020 By Michael Dorgan

Governor Andrew Cuomo has announced that hair and nail salons, tattoo parlors and other personal care providers will shutter across New York state from 8 p.m. Saturday.

It comes as almost 4,000 coronavirus cases have been confirmed in the city with 26 fatalities, Mayor Bill de Blasio said on MSNBC this morning.

Connecticut, New Jersey, and Pennsylvania are adopting similar approaches as the coronavirus pandemic spreads across the world.

The mandatory forced closures are the latest in a swath of government measures enacted this week that have brought many businesses to a standstill.

Most businesses have already been ordered shut – although bars, restaurants, and cafes are allowed to provide delivery and takeout.

“These temporary closures are not going to be easy, but they are necessary to protect the public health,” Cuomo said in a tweet announcing the measures this morning.

It is unclear how long these restrictions will stay in place as businesses and their employees face uncertain times ahead.

De Blasio also renewed his call this morning for a “shelter in place” rule for the city – which Cuomo has stated he is against – that would further limit public life and order people to stay at home in order to combat the spread of coronavirus.

“I think every place that’s at the front line of this crisis needs to move to shelter in place to protect ourselves,” de Blasio said this morning. “Anything nonessential needs to stop.”

“We’re not trying to be draconian, we’re trying to save lives and protect people,” he said.

Yesterday Cuomo unveiled new measures that will help relieve stress that families are facing during the global pandemic.

Under the plan, mortgage payments for will be waived for 90 days for individuals facing financial hardships — such as a loss of full-time employment — with no negative effects to credit scores. There will also be no late payment or online payment fees and all foreclosures will be postponed or suspended, Cuomo said.

In addition, fees will be waived for overdrafts, ATMs and credit cards from state-chartered banks.

email the author: news@queenspost.com
No comments yet

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Mob of young people ransack Flushing boutique minutes after robbing man at knifepoint on Roosevelt Avenue: NYPD

Police from the 109th Precinct in Flushing are still looking for more than a dozen young people who allegedly robbed a man at knifepoint on Roosevelt Avenue and then pulled a smash-and-grab minutes later, looting a store of tens of thousands of dollars worth of merchandise last month.

The mob of more than a dozen men and women surrounded a 38-year-old man in the vicinity of Roosevelt Avenue and Union Street in the early morning of Monday, April 22. Several of the suspects threatened the victim with knives and some of the individuals menaced him with sticks before they forcibly removed his wallet, which contained $700 in cash, police said, adding that the victim was not injured during the incident.

Mayor announces new 9/11 memorial will be built in Whitestone to honor fallen service members from Iraq and Afghanistan conflicts

Queens will be home to the city’s new memorial dedicated to the 99 service members from the borough who lost their lives in the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq following the events of 9/11, Mayor Eric Adams announced during a Fleet Week kickoff reception at City Hall on Thursday morning.

The borough of Queens was chosen because it is home to the largest number of post-9/11 service members who were killed in action during those conflicts. Queens is also home to the highest population of living veterans than any other borough.

Two men sentenced to life imprisonment in murder-for-hire of perceived business rival at Flushing karaoke club

The president of a Manhattan-based construction company and a California man were sentenced to life in prison in Brooklyn federal court on Wednesday for orchestrating the murder of a businessman at a Flushing karaoke bar in 2019.

Qing Ming “Allen” Yu, 55, of Oyster Bay, and Zhe “Zack” Zhang, 35, of Arcadia, Calif., were convicted by a federal jury in October following a two-week trial for the contract killing of 31-year-old Xin “Chris” Gu, who worked at Yu’s company before becoming his business rival. The jury found the defendants guilty of murder-for-hire and murder-for-hire conspiracy for hiring a hitman to gun the victim down outside the Grand Slam KTV bar on Fowler Avenue