Feb. 7, 2020 By Kristen Torres
The results for two individuals who were being tested for the coronavirus at Flushing hospitals have come back as negative, according to the Department of Health.
The City has placed five people under investigation for the deadly virus since it first arrived in the United States. The results of four people have been deemed negative, with the other case still pending.
The Health Dept. announced Sunday that two people had been admitted to Flushing hospitals on Sunday for testing. Both were cleared today.
“Good news: The results came back negative for both cases being tested for #coronanavirus in Flushing!” posted Council Member Peter Koo on Facebook. At the time of his posting, three of the five people being tested were cleared of the virus– with two still be determined.
The individuals being tested in Flushing were both over the age of 60 and had recently been to China–the epicenter of the outbreak that began in December. They were admitted to Flushing Hospital Medical Center and New York-Presbyterian Queens last week.
There are 12 confirmed cases of novel coronavirus in the U.S. and more than 30,000 worldwide. More than 600 people have died from the virus, according to the World Health Organization.
“New York City is on high alert and prepared to handle any confirmed cases of the novel coronavirus, Mayor Bill de Blasio said in a statement this week.
“My message to New Yorkers remains the same: if you have the travel history and are exhibiting symptoms, please see your health provider immediately,” he added.
City officials said taking normal precautions, such as frequent hand washing and covering coughs and sneezes, are an easy way to prevent the spread of the virus.