You are reading

Travelers from States With High COVID Rates Must Quarantine Upon Entering New York

Plane at JFK Airport (Adam Moreira/ CC BY-SA/ Wikimedia Commons)

June 24, 2020 By Allie Griffin

Travelers from states with a high rate of COVID-19 infection must quarantine for 14 days upon entering New York, Gov. Andrew Cuomo announced today.

Cuomo made the announcement with the governors of New Jersey and Connecticut via video in a joint press conference Wednesday.

“We are announcing today a joint travel advisory,” Cuomo said. “People coming in from states that have a high infection rate must quarantine for 14 days.”

The advisory applies to visitors from such states — as well as returning residents — to New York, New Jersey and Connecticut.

States with an infection rate greater than 10 cases per 100,000 residents or a 10 percent or higher positivity rate over a seven-day rolling average are subject to the travel advisory and two-week quarantine.

The states that are currently above that level include Alabama, Arkansas, Arizona, Florida, North Carolina, South Carolina, Washington, Utah and Texas, Cuomo said.

New York will update which states meet the metrics for the quarantine advisory daily.

“We worked very hard to get the viral transmission rate down,” the governor said. “We don’t want to see it go up because a lot of people come into this region and they could literally bring the infection with them.”

Cuomo said if someone from one of the states seeing an uptick in cases is found to be breaking the quarantine in New York, he or she could be subject to a judicial order and mandatory quarantine or even fines up to $2,000 for the first offense.

The advisory takes effect tonight at midnight.

email the author: news@queenspost.com
No comments yet

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Dozens of restaurant and small business owners urge Sen. Ramos to support the $8B Metropolitan Park proposal at Citi Field

Around fifty restaurant and small business owners from Corona, Jackson Heights, and East Elmhurst signed a letter asking state Senator Jessica Ramos to support the $8 billion Metropolitan Park proposal from New York Mets owner Steve Cohen and Hard Rock International to build a casino and entertainment complex on the parking lot adjacent to Citi Field.

Jessica Rico, the owner of Mojitos Restaurant & Bar in Jackson Heights, hand-delivered the letter to a Ramos staffer while the Senator was in Albany on April 19.

Crunching the Queens crime numbers: grand larcenies down across borough, rapes halved in the north, robberies decrease in the south

Apr. 17, 2024 By Ethan Marshall

The number of grand larcenies across Queens was down during the 28-day period from March 18 to April 14, compared to the same period of time last year, according to the latest crime stats released by the NYPD Monday. At the same time, rapes and robberies decreased significantly in northern and southern Queens, respectively.