You are reading

Vallone Announces $2 Million in Upgrades Coming to Francis Lewis Park

Francis Lewis Park. (Google Maps)

July 2, 2019 By Laura Hanrahan

Council Member Paul Vallone announced today that Francis Lewis Park will undergo a $2 million upgrade that will see improvements to the park’s pathways, entrances and Veterans Memorial.

“I am thrilled to announce this funding allocation, which will go a long way to improve one of northeast Queens’ waterfront gems,” Vallone said. “Access to our public spaces is an integral part of ensuring sustained quality of life in Northeast Queens. I thank Speaker Johnson for his partnership, and I know these improvements will be enjoyed by families in northeast Queens for years to come!”

The funding, set aside in the recently-approved City Council budget, comes from both Vallone’s office and City Council Speaker Corey Johnson. Vallone contributed $300,000, with the remaining $1.7 million coming from a partnership with Johnson.

“The people of northeast Queens deserve nothing less than a first class park, and that’s exactly what they are going to get with this funding,” said Johnson. “Council Member Vallone is a true advocate for his district, and it was a pleasure to work with him during this budget process to help his constituents. I can’t wait to see the final results.”

The park’s pathways will be repaved and improvements to the entrance of the park on 3rd Avenue will be made. A meeting will be held later this year by community leaders to discuss the scope of the upgrades.

Vallone and Johnson both received praise from local community groups grateful for the improvements to the waterfront park.

“Francis Lewis Park is the crown jewel of our community,” said We Love Whitestone Civic President Alfredo Centola. “We Love Whitestone, along with Friends of Francis Lewis Park, have been discussing upgrades with Councilman Vallone that would enhance our crown jewel. We are pleased to be part of this process and look forward to the final product to be enjoyed by our community for years to come. We thank the Councilman for securing the funds to make this happen.”

email the author: news@queenspost.com
No comments yet

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Flushing man indicted in fatal collision that killed 10-year-old boy in East Elmhurst last month: DA

A Flushing man was indicted by a Queens grand jury in a fatal collision that killed an 8-year-old boy in East Elmhurst last month.

Jose Barcia, 52, is accused of speeding through a crosswalk while making a left turn, killing Bayron Palomino Arroyo and injuring his 10-year-old brother Bradley on Mar. 13. The grand jury indictment was filed on Apr. 18, and Barcia will be arraigned on May 2, according to Queens District Attorney Melinda Katz.

Dozens of restaurant and small business owners urge Sen. Ramos to support the $8B Metropolitan Park proposal at Citi Field

Around fifty restaurant and small business owners from Corona, Jackson Heights, and East Elmhurst signed a letter asking state Senator Jessica Ramos to support the $8 billion Metropolitan Park proposal from New York Mets owner Steve Cohen and Hard Rock International to build a casino and entertainment complex on the parking lot adjacent to Citi Field.

Jessica Rico, the owner of Mojitos Restaurant & Bar in Jackson Heights, hand-delivered the letter to a Ramos staffer while the Senator was in Albany on April 19.

Crunching the Queens crime numbers: grand larcenies down across borough, rapes halved in the north, robberies decrease in the south

Apr. 17, 2024 By Ethan Marshall

The number of grand larcenies across Queens was down during the 28-day period from March 18 to April 14, compared to the same period of time last year, according to the latest crime stats released by the NYPD Monday. At the same time, rapes and robberies decreased significantly in northern and southern Queens, respectively.