You are reading

Van Bramer Calls for Expanded Safety Netting After More Debris Falls From 7 train

Twitter @jimmyvanbramer

Aug. 22, 2019 By Shane O’Brien

Council Member Jimmy Van Bramer has called on the MTA to expand the safety netting under the 7 train after another piece of debris fell from the elevated tracks in Woodside on Wednesday.

A chunk of metal fell from the elevated subway line close to the 52nd Street-Lincoln Avenue station on Roosevelt Avenue yesterday morning, according to Van Bramer.

Van Bramer was alerted to the incident by a constituent and took to Twitter to emphasize the need to expand the safety netting beyond the 61st Street station before someone gets seriously injured.

The MTA installed netting at the 61st Street station last month after a spate of incidents involving falling debris. The netting is 600 feet long and 50 feet wide and provides the only protection from falling debris along the 7 line.

“Once again, it’s clear that the netting that has been installed at 61st Street needs to be expanded along the entire 7 line before someone gets hurt. We must ensure the safety of all residents in Woodside and across our city,” said Van Bramer in a separate statement.

Debris struck two cars near the 61st station in February and March, prompting calls for the MTA to install netting. In one incident, a wooden beam fell from the tracks near 65th Street and pierced the windshield of a vehicle below. No one was injured.

The netting at 61st Street was installed as part of a pilot program launched in July. Netting has gone up near the 39th Avenue N/W station and two other stations across the city. The MTA is testing their effectiveness.

The MTA said the area around 51st Street and Roosevelt where yesterday’s incident took place is safe and that the agency has already conducted an inspection.

“The object that fell reflects no structural risk but is obviously a serious matter,” the MTA said in statement. “This area was re-inspected Wednesday to ensure that there are no other loose pieces there.”

email the author: news@queenspost.com
No comments yet

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Five Queens startups win $20,000 each in 2024 Tech + Innovation Challenge

May. 19, 2024 By Czarinna Andres

A diverse range of businesses, including a yoga studio, an olive oil distributor, a female health care provider, a sustainable mushroom farmer, and an AI-powered physical therapy service, have been named winners of the 2024 Queens Tech + Innovation Challenge (QTIC). Each winner will receive a $20,000 grant to support their business operations.

QBP Richards, advocates rally to demand Mayor Adams restore funding to City’s libraries

May. 17, 2024 By Gabriele Holtermann

A rally was held at the Queens Public Library at Forest Hills on May 16, during which Queens Borough President Donovan Richards, Queens Public Library President and CEO Dennis Walcott, union reps and library advocates called on Mayor Eric Adams to reverse the proposed $58.3 million budget cuts to the New York Public Library (NYPL), the Brooklyn Public Library (BPL), and the Queens Public Library (QBL) for Fiscal Year 2025, which begins on July 1, 2024.

Queens elected officials secure $70 million from New York State Budget for school safety equipment in religious and independent schools

May. 17, 2024 By Anthony Medina

Religious and independent schools throughout the city will soon receive additional funding for school safety equipment, thanks to Assemblymember Andrew Hevesi and State Senator Michael Gianaris, who, after extensive advocacy efforts, successfully secured $70 million from the New York State Budget for 2024-25 for Non-Public School Safety Equipment (NPSE) grants.