You are reading

New York Times and New York Post Use Images of Flushing for Manhattan Coronavirus Case

(Screenshot from Twitter)

March 2, 2020 By Allie Griffin

Two major publications, the New York Times and the New York Post, featured images of Asian American residents in Flushing in their articles on the first confirmed Coronavirus case in the city — which a Manhattan woman contracted from Iran.

The use of the images of the largely-Asian community in the wrong borough comes after an increase in xenophobia toward Asian Americans amid the outbreak of the flu-like virus, which originated in China.

Governor Andrew Cuomo announced New York City had its first confirmed case of novel Coronavirus, or COVID-19, Sunday. A 39-year-old Manhattan health care worker who returned from Iran last Tuesday contracted the virus, which has taken root in that country.

The woman has respiratory symptoms, but her condition is mild, so she is being quarantined in her own home, Cuomo said. She has not taken any public transportation since returning and her spouse is also being isolated in their home, the governor added.

Queens elected officials condemned the Post for the use of the image featured in its article, which shows an Asian man wearing a mask on Main Street in Flushing, while the caption reads “First case of coronavirus confirmed in Manhattan.”

(Screenshot from Twitter)

Several borough lawmakers who represent Flushing took to Twitter to show their contempt.

Assembly Member Ron Kim retweeted the Post’s story with the caption “Racist much?”

State Senator Toby Ann Stavisky called the oversight “troubling” and said it furthers the misconceptions about the virus that have been hurting her constituents.

Council Member Peter Koo reminded people that viruses are colorblind.

However, the New York Times article on the first confirmed NYC case of the virus — which used a photo of two Asian women wearing masks as they walked along Main Street near the New World Mall in Flushing — received less attention.

Both articles have since been updated with new photos. The Post replaced its original photo of Flushing with one of Governor Andrew Cuomo on its homepage and the Times replaced its with a generic photo of Times Square.

While two people in Flushing hospitals were tested for COVID-19 last month, both tests came back negative.

However small businesses in the largely Asian American community are suffering. In February, the Flushing Chinese Business Association estimates business in the neighborhood has decreased by 40 percent because of fears about the outbreak.

Mayor Bill de Blasio and Council Speaker Corey Johnson visited Flushing on Feb. 13 to dispel any fears and encourage New Yorkers to support small businesses owned by Asian Americans.

To date, there have been approximately 100 confirmed Coronavirus cases in the U.S. and about 90,000 cases and 3,000 deaths worldwide, according to the World Health Organization. The great majority of cases have been in China, where the virus is believed to have originated in Wuhan — but outbreaks in countries like Iran, Italy and South Korea have raised great alarm.

email the author: news@queenspost.com

5 Comments

Click for Comments 
Anonymous

Liberals have been racist against Asians for years now. Trying to limit how many of them enter colleges, putting them in the same bag with whites. Us against them mentality. Now this. Not surprising.

33
2
Reply
Anonymous

NYT racist pieces of shits. Leftist arm-chair posturing, all talk and words, no skin in the game. And the Post has always been vomit material so not surprised

14
3
Reply
Cg

Queens is a borough of NYC. The virus seemed to originate in China…the border between the U and China are a free swinging revolving door, so it is safe to fear the propagation Of the virus from a transient chinese predominant demographic. Yes anyone can get the virus and it isnt fair to single people out, but the public is erring on the side of caution. It’s a natural response. Half my family is asian and my wife wouldnt have us go anywhere near flushing right now.

44
9
Reply

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Five Queens startups win $20,000 each in 2024 Tech + Innovation Challenge

May. 19, 2024 By Czarinna Andres

A diverse range of businesses, including a yoga studio, an olive oil distributor, a female health care provider, a sustainable mushroom farmer, and an AI-powered physical therapy service, have been named winners of the 2024 Queens Tech + Innovation Challenge (QTIC). Each winner will receive a $20,000 grant to support their business operations.

QBP Richards, advocates rally to demand Mayor Adams restore funding to City’s libraries

May. 17, 2024 By Gabriele Holtermann

A rally was held at the Queens Public Library at Forest Hills on May 16, during which Queens Borough President Donovan Richards, Queens Public Library President and CEO Dennis Walcott, union reps and library advocates called on Mayor Eric Adams to reverse the proposed $58.3 million budget cuts to the New York Public Library (NYPL), the Brooklyn Public Library (BPL), and the Queens Public Library (QBL) for Fiscal Year 2025, which begins on July 1, 2024.

Queens elected officials secure $70 million from New York State Budget for school safety equipment in religious and independent schools

May. 17, 2024 By Anthony Medina

Religious and independent schools throughout the city will soon receive additional funding for school safety equipment, thanks to Assemblymember Andrew Hevesi and State Senator Michael Gianaris, who, after extensive advocacy efforts, successfully secured $70 million from the New York State Budget for 2024-25 for Non-Public School Safety Equipment (NPSE) grants.